Sunday, February 13, 2011

Whiskey Cake


As promised, here it is in all it's delicious, alcoholic glory. The Whiskey Cake. It's been sitting in my fridge for the past 2 weeks, just marinating away in whiskey- well Bourbon to be correct, and Corner Creek to be exact. I brought it down to Virginia for the party, and decided to use my brand new frosting tip and tricks learned from my cake decorating class I took a few weeks ago to make it all pretty and such (I'm a beginner so don't judge the frosted "flowers" too harshly).

It's a great cake to make. Involves little to no folding, rising, whipping, etc, that some more involved cakes require. You basically just mix together, pour into a pan and bake. And while the recipe called for an ice pick and an eye dropper, I had neither of these readily at hand so when it came time to administer the whiskey that makes the cake last "practically forever" I just stabbed it all over with a knife and poured over about 2 Tbl. or so of bourbon over. I did this 3 times over the course of 2 weeks... and while you could definitely taste the alcohol, it wasn't so overpoweringly whiskey flavored. It was actually pretty darn good. 

I also substituted currents for raisins because that's what I had. And you may notice in the recipe- which I've repasted below, it calls for flour in the instructions, but no flour is listed as an ingredient. So I called up the cake making master, aka my Mom, and together we decided the 1 3/4 c. of flour would work. You could do less for a lighter cake, but with the whiskey being a constant addition over time you need something a little more dense, at least in my opinion. And I topped it with this lovely cinnamon mascarpone frosting, recipe also below.

Cinnamon Mascarpone Frosting
1 c. chilled whipping cream
8 oz mascarpone
1/2 Tbl cinnamon
1 to 2 c. confectioner's sugar (depending upon how thick/sweet you prefer frosting)

1. Whip up whipping cream in mixer until soft peaks begin to form. Fold in mascarpone. Mix well. Add cinnamon. Slowly add the confectioner's sugar 1/2 cup at a time, being careful not to over-whip frosting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...