Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Grilled Salads and Pretty Things

I saw this 2 years ago and thought it was one of the most beautiful things that I could ever own. Bursting with so much meaning, reaching me in such a way that only a handful of things can reach and hold me to them. Yes, I'm talking about concert posters, a specific one actually but I love them in general. I adore the bands from the prints that I own, and love recognizing and supporting the artists out there supporting good music themselves. And by concert prints I'm not talking about some poster grabbed from Spencer's Gifts next to the lava lamp section. These are limited edition, hand signed and numbered, and I won't buy anything above a certain amount. Sophisticated bitch? Maybe, but it's art the way I like it.

As I said, there's been this one I've had my eye on. An up and coming artist who does these whimsically haunting prints. And since college, I wasn't crazy about the band the print is based on, but the song it references has a way of bringing me to tears in seconds. Nostalgia mixed with pure and simple beauty. So with a slightly above average pay check from here on out (that's right!) I bought it today.
Just lovely. Beautiful.  Haunting.
 Which brings me to other pleasures that grab and hold me. A landscape that takes my breath away. Sitting around an outdoor fire with loved ones. Coming home to beautiful flowers. Waking up to watch the sun rise from the mountains. And possibly less important but just as nourishing to the soul in a different way; a winter salad, grilled and topped simply with shaved cheese and a drizzle of balsamic. It is lovely, perfection in it's own way. Each ingredient kept pure, simple.
Grilled Winter Green Salad
This can be any number of hardy winter greens; escarole, radicchio, brussel sprouts, etc.
Shaved cheese- I used a 14 month Manchego
Drizzle of good balsamic
1/2 Tbl. olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Heat grill to medium. Toss vegetables in olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook over grill until done, flip over once. Top with shaved cheese and drizzle the balsamic over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...