Monday, February 7, 2011

Winter Grilling

Monday. It was definitely one of those days. Exhaustion from this fun-filled weekend piled onto a non-stop work day on top of just not knowing how to stand still anymore. I'm so looking forward to February vacation #1 this weekend, where it'll just be me, my laptop and some cable TV; a forced nothingness for a whole day or 2 with nothing to do except make a King Cake, prep some ceviche, and make sure my Whiskey Cake is well lubricated with... well whiskey (Bourbon to be technical... and yes I made it! Pictures to come once it's frosted and pretty).

Anyways, after leaving work way too late I stopped at the fancy market and grabbed the first 5 things I saw. Not really, but 5 easy, simple go-to ingredients to ensure that I'd have dinner on a plate in less than 30 minutes. Unpeeled shrimp, white trumpet mushrooms, brussel sprouts, basmati rice and a beautiful brand new olive oil... as I've been using my other one way too much as my winter skin secret weapon. And then broke out my stove top grill, which, yes I know it's not the same as a real grill... but a) it's NYC... who has a real grill?!? and b) it's early February! If you are outside grilling in this weather then I commend you.

But I digress. Easy dinners. Break out the stove top grill and get it hot. Oil up the shrimp and veggies with some extra virgin, plus whatever herbs and spices you like (I went with rosemary) and throw them on the grill. I decided to go all fancy and top it with some roasted pepita pesto I made a week ago and froze back, and just served over some basmati fresh from the rice cooker. Super easy. If you don't have the time or inclination to make the pepita pesto then just grab a pre-made one, or even some chimichurri and throw over. It's the perfect July in winter meal.
Roasted Pepita Pesto
1/3 c. roasted pepitas
1 garlic clove, smashed
2 c. chopped cilantro- can substitute with parsley
1/4 c. grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Add garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cilantro, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and pulse until chopped. Add cheese and seeds and process until seeds are finely chopped. With motor running, add oil in a slow stream through feed tube.


Grilled Shrimp
1/2 lb. easy peel shrimp- already cleaned... just makes it easier
1 Tbl. olive oil
1/2 tsp. crushed rosemary
 Salt and pepper to taste
Vegetables to grill- I did brussel sprouts and white trumpet mushrooms (which are amazing grilled)

1. Heat grill to medium high. Rub oil over shrimp and veggies with herbs/spices and salt pepper. Throw on the grill and cook until done.

So easy, right? Monday night delicious dinner, made in less that 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...