Saturday, January 15, 2011

Something a Little Different

I am normally a wine and bourbon girl. Wine for dinner, for parties, for after those long work days. Bourbon for special occasions, special dinners and those really long work days. But it's always good to keep an open mind, so when the situation arises I'm open to trying something different.

Now I wasn't always this way. In college I was that really annoying picky girl drinker, the one that would go to the frat party and refuse to drink the keg beer. I'm still unapologetic of my behaviour, it was just gross. Like carbonated water that had gone slightly off, I was more of a wine cooler type of girl. Until I discovered The Ginger Man and their Tuesday special, drink the beer of the day and keep the glass. And being in college and on a limited budget this was a great way to get some pretty unique glassware, and also turned me on to the fact that beer could be good.
So last night, after our delicious meal, warmed by food and wine, we decided to get all bundled up and headed down the street to my local watering hole, Beer Table. If you live near Park Slope or even in the New York area and like beer a lot, it's worth the trip. The great thing too is that they give tastings of their draft beers, and it's a pretty decent size. For someone like me who finds it hard to commit to a full beer, it's great to try and relatively inexpensive. Last night I had the Pause Cafe Chicca, an Italian beer infused with Guatemalan coffee beans, it had an intense, toasty flavor with definite coffee tones. I also tried the Burton Bridge Festival they had on cask, which was more of a drinking all night beer.

It was a great night with friends, chatting and getting great recommendations from the knowledgeable staff. And while for me beer is something I don't indulge in too often, for special occasions with the right stuff and of course the right company it can be a pretty delicious treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...