Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Rice Love

So looks like all my June posts are starting out with an overarching "love" theme. Don't read too much into it. Simple observation only. But while we're at it let's talk about my absolute love of rice for a quick sec in this post. Because I just made myself some of the best damn, completely and shamelessly licking the bowl, coconut rice tonight. And goodness... it was so delicious, delectable, intoxicating. As I was eating it straight from the rice cooker, I couldn't help thinking how buried it would be under a sauce and how perfect it would be with just some simple steamed veggies and chicken or shrimp. Or a simple salmon. Anything that wouldn't overpower this rice love affair of mine.
Don't get me wrong. The shrimp was delicious but the rice stole the show.
Because it's the only way I know how to make rice, I'm giving you the rice cooker way. But follow the instructions and adjust anything as necessary for stovetop cooking. Coconut to water should be a 1:2 ratio. I made my rice a tad healthier by adding some frozen shelled edamame and parsley for green. Also, worth trying if you want to be even healthier- just use coconut water. I usually keep a few bottles of it in my fridge, as it's really good on so many wonderful levels, so next time I make this rice, I'll try out just coconut water.

Coconut Rice 
3/4 c. kasmati or basmati rice
1/2 c. light coconut milk
1 c. water
1 tsp. shredded coconut (not necessary, just a nice extra touch)
Salt to taste

1. Add rice to rice cooker and then all liquid. Cook until done. Add edamame and parsley and let steam for 5-10 minutes. Salt to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...