Saturday, March 19, 2011

Second Best Baked Good

After pie dough that is, but I think because the making of the 2 are so similar... the desired fat and flour crumb consistency, just enough liquid, the necessity for the fat to be as chilled as possible before and after combining. That'd be the cheddar chive biscuit, from BLT Fish. I figured since I just mentioned it, and turned down one straight from the source, the least I could do is give you the recipe, right?

One thing Laurent Tourondel has excelled at (or perhaps more correctly, his pastry chef's) is the unique baked goods served at his restaurants. I was in love at first bite with the cheddar chive biscuits and bought a popover pan after having his gruyere popovers at BLT Prime. He's also so nice to give you a little recipe card, gratis, along with the baked treats. And it was through this that I was able to make and eventually perfect my biscuit making skills.

These biscuits are so flaky, buttery and cheesy with just that slight, but perfect, bite of cayenne pepper they quickly became a favorite of everyone I made them for. So much so that they were included in my family's recipe book... a lovely compilation of family recipes my amazing designer sister put together for family and family friends and a book that I reference more than any other cookbook in my possession. So without further ado...

Cheddar and Chive Biscuits
1 ¼ c. flour- I like to sift mine at least once
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp kosher salt
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbl shortening
3 Tbl butter- cold
1 Tbl chopped chives
1 c. grated sharp cheddar
1 ¼ c. heavy cream


1. Place oven on 375.

2. Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne in a mixer. Chop the cold butter and place the shortening into the flour and mix the ingredients briefly. The butter should remain chunky.

3. Toss in the chopped chives and cheese. Pour in cream and mix until it just comes together, about 1 minute. Do not overmix. Refridgerate to firm up the fat before baking.

4. Place into muffin tins and bake for 15-17 minutes. Sprinkle sea salt on them when they come out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...