Basic Chicken Stock
Yield: 4 quarts
3 to 4 lbs. chicken parts- fresh or frozen
1/2 c. each diced carrot, celery and onion
Boquet garni- parsley and stems, bay leaf, peppercorns, thyme all wrapped in a cheesecloth and tied
1. Put chicken parts in a large stockpot, cover with water by several inches and set over medium heat.
2. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer. Skim off scum (fat and coagulated protein) until it is no longer produced. Do not let the water boil or scum will become incorporated into the stock.
3. Add all vegetable and Bouquet Garni. Simmer 4 hours. When done, cool and degrease.
Cooling and Degreasing
- Cool the stock to room temperature over ice and chill until fat hardens. Discard solidified fat.
- Put stock in degreasing cup. Allow fat to come to the top, about 3 minutes. Pour off the degreased stock from the bottom.
- Use ladle to skim fat from the surface. Any remaining fat may be removed by dragging strips of paper towel over the surface. The fat will coat the paper making it translucent. Discard and repeat until all fat is removed.