Friday, May 20, 2011

Chocolate Chili Brownies

There's something about baking right before bed, the wonderful smells that fill my apartment, having something warm and sweet to taste test, a one final (and delicious) accomplishment of the day before calling it a night. This week has been filled with all sorts of other unexpected accomplishments and after completing a few it's kind of hard to stop. So I came home and decided to bake some brownies, and while I was following a formula for all the baking elements, I was also kind of winging it, and it worked. And so I share.
During my usual weekly downtime blog perusal I came across a great recipe from the Homesick Texan for Lavender Brownies, a treat that sounded so decadent that I couldn't pass them up. But I couldn't find lavender, or possibly just didn't have the time to look hard enough, and the chocolate I already had at home was chili spiced, the kind I typically keep around for my wonderful chili recipe. So I thought, what the hey, I should just give that a shot. After all, the Texan in me loves everything with that little kick of spice. But if you've ever had chili spiced chocolate you will know it's not spicy, just with a warm kick. And chocolate and chili go hand in hand, which is why amazing combinations like mole exist. So here goes: decedent and delicious, the chocolaty gooey perfection of chili spiced brownies.


Chocolate Chili Brownies
1 c. granulated sugar
4 ounces hard, chili spiced chocolate, chopped (several chocolate makers, like Lindt, have a chili chocolate bar)

1 tsp cocoa powder
8 Tbl unsalted butter
1/8 tsp kosher salt
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon

1/8 tsp cardamom
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs, beaten
1/2 c. all-purpose flour
1 c. chopped walnuts
1/4 tsp maldon sea salt


1. Preheat oven to 350. In a saucepan, on low heat melt the chocolate and butter, while occasionally stirring. Once melted, turn off the heat and stir in the cocoa powder, sugar, salt, cardamom, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Temper the egg and then add, whisking until well combined, and then stir in the flour and walnuts, mixing until a smooth, thick batter is formed.


2. Grease small square pan and pour the brownie batter in. Bake for 22-25 minutes or until an inserted knife or toothpick comes out clean.Sprinkle sea salt over, and cut up once brownies have cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...