Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Spicy Cashew Chicken

Nights I go to the gym are always tough. I'm rushing out of work early but also getting home from the gym too late to begin making something too intensely homemade. I'm sweaty, humid from my shower and exhausted. But exercising, especially spinning, is such an amazing work out that I always have some sort of leftover energy. So I drag myself up from the couch or the bed or wherever I've planted myself post-shower to the kitchen to create a meal. Tonight, inspired by both Homesick Texan and Simply Recipes, I made spicy cashew chicken.
It's not what you think when you initially hear "cashew chicken." This is spicy, with some bite from the smokey chipotles, and a little creamy from the light mayo thrown into the marinade. There's a beautiful sour pucker from the lime zest, umami from the tamari, and of course a sweet crunch from the cashews. And it's all so easy to throw together. Despite my food processor/blender dying for good (yeah, that'll be an unloved appliance post soon)... it wasn't so bad to combine and absolutely delicious over the chicken.

Chipotle Cashew Chicken
2 chicken breasts or legs- patted dry and slightle seasoned with salt and pepper
1 chipotle en adobo- just drain off the adobo... or not
1 Tbl. cilantro- chopped finely
1 tsp. lime zest
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 Tbl. tamari- or soy sauce
2 garlic cloves- finely chopped
2 Tbl. fat free mayo
1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 c. roasted cashews

1. Preheat oven to 425. Roast cashews if not already roasted over a stove until nicely browned. Combine all ingredients, except the chicken, in a food processor- if you have a working one, otherwise mash it all up well- and combine. You can leave out the cashews as they may burn- or get very dark- and just add them over the top at 15 min out.

2. In an oven safe pan place the chicken and pat dry and season lightly with salt and pepper. Rub the marinade over chicken (or marinate for a few hours to overnight- I didn't and it was still delicious) and bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.
Love making doubles to save for lunch or tomorrows dinner when it's delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...