Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Honey Soy Ginger Shrimp Stir Fry

Well I've got a few recipes I need to type up and get out there but I figured I'd start with this one first because it was pretty delicious, fast and made somewhat on the fly. Exactly what you want for a busy weeknight. I had gotten into my head that I wanted to do a miso glazed cod (a la Nobu), but that needed a while to marinate so while I was at the fish counter I grabbed some shrimp that I could do a quick, Asian-flavored marinade with some fresh ginger and honey.

Having also ended last weekend at a friends' BBQ where the hosts had made some pretty delicious coconut rice with golden raisins, I was determined to recreate as I couldn't get enough. If you remember, I'm quite fond of coconut rice... and was able to find some 5.5 oz. cans of coconut milk from Thai Kitchen which is pretty much the perfect size to get some great coconut flavor with only a touch of the fat. I topped off the rice cooker with some fresh kale leaves to steam (my new favorite dinner trick) and stir fried the shrimp with some shitakes. Balanced, delicious, easy and pescatarian. 

Honey Soy Ginger Shrimp
1 lb. shrimp- peeled and de-veined
1/4 c. low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbl. honey
1 1/2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
1 large clove garlic- minced
1/2 Tbl. sesame seeds
10-15 shitakes
1/2 Tbl. olive oil
1 tsp. sesame oil

1. Stir together soy sauce, honey, minced garlic and ginger in a bowl. In a large zip lock bag, add in the shrimp and pour marinade over. Let sit while you prep the shitakes. Remove stems and slice into thin strips.

2. In a saute pan add in the olive and sesame oil and heat over medium. When the oil is hot add the shitakes and stir until just browned. Add the shrimp with all the marinade and cook until the shrimp are just pink on both sides and the marinade has cooked down to a nice sauce. Serve over coconut rice and top with sesame seeds.

Coconut rice with golden raisins
1/2 c. jasmine rice
1/2 c. texmati brown rice
1- 5.5 oz. can of coconut milk
1 1/2 c. water
1/4 c. golden raisins
1 tsp. kosher salt
2-3 c. loosely packed chopped kale

1. In a rice cooker add the rices, the raisins, and salt. Top with coconut milk and water and then top with the chopped kale. Steam until done and then fluff with a fork. Kale should be nicely steamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...