Friday, February 10, 2012

Cheesy Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf

This was completely one of those end of the month, what do I have in the fridge and don't have to buy type of meals. And yes, meatloaf. It's not exactly exciting or life changing, but neither is staring into a mostly empty fridge with a mostly empty bank account. It can be dressed up any number of ways and mostly with non-perishable items, which means that if you have a well-stocked pantry, a condiment or 2 and a good number of herbs and spices, you too can make a delicious meatloaf. It's also a no brainer meal. Sure you can get creative in any number of ways but mostly it's just seasoned meat, topped with a sauce and thrown in the oven.
And I've needed a lot of those these days. Between a lot of ups (promotion, sister visit this weekend, Virginia visit soon, parents and one of my Texas friends' visit back to back) and a few downs (taxes... ugh, not being able to attend my other bestie's baby shower in Texas) I need easy when I get home. Just today I had my first foray into the world of baby products (no, not for me) and the AMOUNT. OF. JUDGEMENT I came across. My goodness. Is it just me or does the meaning of the word "opinion" and "choice" just fly out the window when it comes to a baby? And if I'm already so sensitive to it now when it's not even my child I'm getting the product for... what in the world will I do when it is mine? Where did my fearless self-confidence go? (But on a good note I already have my future far away baby's diaper bag picked out- thank goodness for Pinterest! And I know more about diaper bags then the average non-mom now).
This recipe was actually from one of my very first college dinner parties. Oh we thought we were so grown up, having a (meatloaf) dinner party. And such culinary sophisticates by stuffing it with cheese. But we were on to something. I made a variation of it the very first time I cooked in New York, and before I had even moved here (I was renting an apartment for the weekend, to get a feel for NYC living). And now on nights where I don't want to think... I know I always have ground turkey in my freezer, I always have eggs and some variation of cheese. Herbs and spices and pantry items like breadcrumbs... forget about it. I am well stocked. It's definitely not the most sophisticated of dishes but it gets the job done, and done well, which is all that matters at the end of the day.

Cheesy Stuffed Turkey Meatloaf
1 lb. ground white turkey
1 egg
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. crushed rosemary
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 c. shredded cheese of choice (cheddar, monterey jack, mozzarella are all good)

Glaze
1 c. ketchup
1 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. chili powder
1. tsp paprika (smoked is especially nice if you have it)
1 Tbl. shredded cheese
1 c. panko breadcrumbs

1. Pre-heat oven to 350. In a bowl mix together the meat, herbs, salt, pepper and egg. Cut out a large sheet of plastic wrap and lay on the counter. Pat out the meat mixture on the plastic wrap until it's a rectangle a little less than 1" thick.

2. Spread cheese over the meat, leaving a 1" border all around. Carefully roll up and place into a baking dish. In a seperate bowl, combine the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder and paprika. Top the meat evenly with the glaze.

3. On top of that sprinkle the cheese and then the breadcrumbs. Bake for 1 hr or until internal temp registers 160 and if top is not golden turn on the broiler for 1-2 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes and then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...