Monday, November 21, 2011

How To: Quickly Roast Peppers

I figured I'd set up my next post with a quick how to on roasting peppers. It's a snap, and it makes all the difference in the world for having those lovely layers of flavor to add to almost any dish. In this case I made possibly the most typical form of roasted peppers, stuffed poblano, but this can be used for any kind of pepper out there.

And yes I KNOW, a true, lovely and silky roasted pepper comes from the oven, baked luxuriously for over an hour until charred and filled with flavor. But in this case, I'm doing a quick roast, then stuffing and baking. So if you have time, check out this post from Luisa... if anyone understands and can really impart the importance of taking your time with food its her. But if it's a Monday night, you've worked all day and then run errands all night, sometimes this will just do.
1. Do you have a gas stove? If yes, then turn it on low and throw those bad boys over a low flame.If you don't, throw them over a grill, or put the on a sheet pan under the broiler in the oven. You want them close enough to the flame (i.e. the gas high enough or the oven rack as close to the broiler as possible). Turn them as each side gets nice and charred.
2. Once all sides are charred, take off the flame and put into a brown paper bag. Let sit for 5-10 minutes (the steam helps the charred skin come off easier). Remove from bag and carefully peel off the charred skin. And voila, quickly roasted peppers.



   
So guess what I finally got?!? That's right, one of my Monday errands included a new card. Oh my beautiful sharp photos, I've missed you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...