Monday, August 1, 2011

Sugar Snap Pea Salad

Over at Le Culinary Creusette, my sister had challenged her readers a week ago to make her sugar snap pea salad better. My first thoughts were to keep it simple. Radishes work best in my opinion with creamy things- on buttered bread, or with a mayo based dressing so I left them out. Same with the sumac, because its something I simply didn't have. I thought some sweetly spiced curry almonds would mesh well, and also provide a different kind of crunch against the peas, and kept the ricotta salata for a sharp creaminess. I made my vinaigrette with champagne vinegar instead of white wine, and threw some curry powder in that to tie it all together. I wish I had some butter lettuce or another vegetable but it wasn't necessarily something I missed. The result... not bad. Easily a good lunch salad or appetizer. Or perfect for a night spent nursing a sunburn after a long, hot, weekend at the beach.

Sugar Snap Pea Salad
1/2 lb. sugar snap peas, trimmed with string removed and cut in half on a bias
2 oz. ricotta salata, crumbled
1/2 tsp. champagne vinegar
1/2 Tbl. olive oil
2-3 shakes of curry powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Curried Almonds

1. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add sugar snap peas and let blanch for 2-3 minutes. Remove and shock with ice water. Trim and set aside.

2. In a bowl whisk in curry and vinegar. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Taste for salt. Pour over the peas and crumbled ricotta salata and toss well. Add the curried almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...