Saturday, August 27, 2011

Cherry Pie Turnovers

How much more fruit can you take? Because just to warn you, I still have a grilled peach and blueberry pie post to come. If it isn't already clear, this summer I've enjoyed a plethora of fruit. Strawberries, cherries, gooseberries, apricots, blueberries, peaches. The past few weekends at the farmers market I felt like I had to physically will myself away from the tables upon tables of blackberries... as my favorite jam of all time is blackberry. And in my head, that luxurious shiny spread over a bit of butter and homemade bread... too much! I am not ready to face canning again... just yet.
Red on red
And maybe not exactly pie, but I am loving preserving in the form of turnovers to be frozen back. The strawberry ones were such fun that I decided to go for the same with some cherries, only mix it up a little with the ingredients and spices. Where the strawberry ones were so bright and summery, with the cherry I knew I wouldn't be eating them until the fall or winter so I made them warm, smooth, a wrapped up in a blanket near a fire kind of taste. I also did my pie crust with a portion of almond flour, to give it a different sort of texture and crumb. It was nice, a little different and added a lovely nutty flavor, which I thought would go well for fall. A last minute spontaneous decision that I know... I know... I shouldn't do when baking, but we all know I'm never going to stop trying.

Cherry Turnovers
2 lbs. cherries- de-stemmed and pitted
1 Tbl of honey- can adjust for especially sweet or sour cherries
1/2 Tbl. brown sugar
1 tsp. molasses 
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
Pinch of salt

1. Combine all ingredients in a heavy bottomed pot and cook over medium heat until cherries are soft and liquid has evaporated somewhat approx 30-45 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking or burning on the bottom. 

Almond Pie Crust
1 1/4 c. AP flour
1 c. almond flour
2/3 c. unsalted butter- well chilled and cut into 1/4" cubes
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. brown sugar
6-8 Tbl. ice cold water

1. In a large bowl combine the flours, salt and sugar. Add the butter and pinch until they're all flattened but not pea sized. Add water a Tbl at a time around the edges and mix until just combined into a ball. Chill for 30 minutes to 1 hr.

2. Remove and roll out, making sure to keep the dough moving and using lots of flour to prevent sticking. Cut out in rounds at desired size for turnovers. Fill and crimp well around the edges- can use egg wash or water to assist. Wash the top with the egg wash and sprinkle with raw sugar (optional). Bake at 400 for 10-15 or until tops are browned.

2 comments:

  1. You are going to Lake Cypress Springs? That's where my grandparents live!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! That's where my friends' lakehouse is! She's shown me pics, it's just gorgeous there! Love the pine trees

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...